Resources to Build On
For Homeownership information: Enterprise Community Partners has previously published the Tribal Leaders Handbook on Homeownership and Enhancing and Implementing Homeownership Programs in Native Communities which will be helpful resources for communities or developers seeking to learn more about creating homeownership opportunities.
- Doctrine of Discovery
- Allotment Act
- Indian Country
- Alaskan Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971
- Hawaiian Homes Commission Act of 1921
Leichenko, R. Housing and Economic Development in Indian Country: Challenge and Opportunity, Routledge. 2018.
Phase I: Visioning
- HUD Native American Housing Needs Report (2017)
- Indigenous Planning + Design Institute
- Sustainable Native Communities Collaborative
- Citizens’ Institute on Rural Design
- Mass Design Group Sustainable Native Communities Design Lab
- Enterprise Green Communities Integrative Design Toolkit.
- GAO Study Native American Housing and Additional Actions Needed
- Freddie Mac LIHTC in Indian Areas
- GAO Data Use and Regulatory Status of the Indian Housing Block Grant
- National Multifamily Housing Council Toolkit
- Local Housing Solutions Engaging the Community
- Integrative Design from Enterprise Green Communities
- Big Water Consulting: Resource for Housing Needs Assessments
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Homelessness Resources
- Housing First homelessness model
- Strategies for Multifamily Building Resilience
- Shopworks architecture on Trauma-Informed Design
- Young, R.S., & Joe, J.R. (2009). Some thoughts about the epidemiology of alcohol and drug use among American Indian/Alaska Native populations. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse, 8(3), 223-41.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2019). 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health Detailed Tables.
Phase II: Planning and Predevelopment
- CHDO Survivor Kit
- Ten Principles for Developing Affordable Housing
- Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act (URA)
- HUD Income Limit Tool
- Model Content Standards for Rental Housing Market Studies
- Grounded Solutions calculator
- Urban Institute calculator
- Market Study Common Terms to Know
- Alvarez, Annette. (2011). “Native American Tribes and Economic Development,” Urbanland. Available at: https://urbanland.uli.org/development-business/Native-american-tribes-and-economic-development/
Phase III: Securing Funding
- The Indian Housing Development Handbook
- GAO Review of Block Grant Program
- Indian Housing Block Grant (IHBG)
- GAO Report on Competitive Formula
- Case Study: LIHTC in California
- Capital Magnet Fund
- Minneapolis Federal Reserve Map of Native CDFIs
- Summary of public funding available to finance Native housing development: https://nativehomeownership.enterprisecommunity.org/homeownership-development-planning-drive-change
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. (2015). Obstacles, Solutions, and Self-Determination in Indian Housing Policy Available at: https://www.huduser.gov/portal/periodicals/em/spring15/highlight1.html
- For more information on the Indian Housing Block Grant Competitive Grant Program, see: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/public_indian_housing/ih/grants/ihbg_cgp
- Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. (2012). Growing Economies in Indian Country: Taking Stock of Progress and Partnerships. Available at: https://www. EXAMPLE HFA SUBMISSION CHECKLIST federalreserve.gov/newsevents/conferences/GEIC-white-paper-20120501.pdf
- Whaley, Kenneth. (2019). Low Income Housing Tax Credits and Affordable Rentals in Indian Country. The Center for Indian Country Development.
- Native Nations Institute. 2016. Access to Capital and Credit in Native Communities, digital version. Tucson, AZ: Native Nations Institute. Available at: http://nni.arizona.edu/application/files/6315/2822/4505/Accessing_Capital_and_Credit_in_Native_Communities.pdf
- California Coalition for Rural Housing & Rural Community Assistance Corporation. (2019). California Tribal Housing Needs and Opportunities. Availlabe at: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/8d7a46_e7569ba74f5648ba9bc8d73931ebd85d.pdf
- Bandy, Dewey. (2014). Native Americans and the Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program: Lessons from the California Tribal Pilot Program. California Coalition for Rural Housing. Available at: https://www.frbsf.org/community-development/files/ci_vol26no2-Native-Americans-and-the-LIHTC-Program.pdf
- For more information see the discussion of tenant selection and rental agreements in California Tribal Housing Needs and Opportunities (p. 58): https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/8d7a46_e7569ba74f5648ba9bc8d73931ebd85d.pdf
- King-Viehland, Monique and Scally, Corraine Payton. “Five Ways State and Local Governments Can Strengthen Their Capacity to Meet Growing Rental Needs.” Housing Matters blog. Available at: https://housingmatters.urban.org/articles/five-ways-state-and-local-governments-can-strengthen-their-capacity-meet-growing-rental
Phase IV: Site Selection and Design
- Best Practices in Tribal Housing
- Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Example
- Environmental Risks, University of Oregon
- Climate Assessment Planning Tools for Tribal Nations
- FEMA’s Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities Grant
- Department of Energy database of ongoing funding opportunities
- Indian Health Service Sanitation Facilities Construction Program
- U.S. EPA Drinking Water Infrastructure Grants
- U.S. EPA Clean Water State Revolving Loan Fund
- USDA Water & Waste Disposal Loan and Grant Program
- USDA Community Facilities Direct Loan and Grant Program
- Tribal Energy Loan Guarantee Program
- American Rescue Plan
- National Tribal Broadband Grant
- BIA Inventory of programs that support broadband access
- Department of Commerce’s Connecting Minority Communities Program
- BIA Road Maintenance Program
- Tribal Transportation Program
- Tribal Transit Program
- Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program
- Look up THPO Program contacts here.
- For direct consultation on cultural and historic issues, look up contacts for Tribal Leaders here.
- This resource includes some tips on direct consultation on cultural and historic issues (even if you are not subject to Section 106).
- The Environmental Protection Agency provides a recommended format for preliminary environmental reports and links to USDA’s electronic PER format
- Indian Land Tenure Foundation outlines types of easements for rights-of-way and process to obtain them in this procedural handbook.
- Open Energy outlines the right-of-way process on tribal land in this flowchart.
- Example partnership with Public Agencies: Hawai’i
- Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs – Zoning and Land Use Code
- The Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe’s overview of its leasehold process
- Resilience Analysis and Planning Tool
- Visitability Framework
- Universal Design
- EPA Tribal Green Building Toolkit
- EPA Tribal Green Building Administrative Code Example
- HUD’s Part 58 process.
- More examples and case studies in Best Practices in Tribal Housing (2013)
- Search for Tribal Preservation Programs through this site from the National Park Service.
- Consultation with Indian Tribes in the Section 106 Review Process: A Handbook by the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
- The Bureau of Indian Affairs, Division of Natural Resources catalogs a series of resources related to BIA NEPA requirements.
- Council on Environmental Quality and Advisory Council on Historic Preservation by NEPA and NHPA: A Handbook for Integrating NEPA and Section 106
- U.S. Climate Resilience Toolkit
- HEARTH Act Minneapolis Fed and Indian Country Today
- Coordinated Environmental Review Process. (2015). Report prepared by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Available at: www.hud.gov/sites/documents/COORENVIRREVIEW.PDF.
- Nate Seltenrich. Healthier Tribal Housing: Combining the Best of Old and New. Environmental Health Perspectives. Retrieved from http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/120-a460/. Accessed October 12, 2021.
- GAO-10-326 includes a list of commonly used programs for housing-related infrastructure in tribal communities (p. 46) + reports on types of infrastructure tribes have used IHBG to develop (p. 48).
- National Congress of American Indians. (2017). Tribal Infrastructure: Investing in Infrastructure in Indian Country for a Stronger America. An initial report by NCAI to the Administration and Congress. Available at: https://www.ncai.org/attachments/PolicyPaper_RslnCGsUDiatRYTpPXKwThNYoACnjDoBOrdDlBSRcheKxwJZDCx_NCAI-InfrastructureReport-FINAL.pdf.
- Report on Broadband Deployment in Indian Country, Pursuant to the Repack Airwaves Yielding Better Access for Users of Modern Services Act of 2018. Available at: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-357269A1.pdf
- Corporation for Supportive Housing. (n.d.). “Establishing Site Control.” Available at https://www.csh.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/SiteControl_F.pdf.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. (2015). Obstacles, Solutions, and Self-Determination in Indian Housing Policy. Available at: https://www.huduser.gov/portal/periodicals/em/spring15/highlight1.html
- Centre for Excellence in Universal Design. “What is Universal Design.” Accessed: August 1, 2021. http://universaldesign.ie/What-is-Universal-Design/
Phase V: Construction
- American Institute of Architects
- International Code Council’s website
- Davis-Bacon standards
- Sustainable Native Communities Collaborative Roadmap
- Resource on Broadband for Affordable Housing Development
- National Congress of American Indians. Empowering Tribal Workforce Development: Indian Country’s Policy Recommendations for the Federal Government (Version 2.0). Washington, DC: National Congress of American Indians. February 2020.
- For example, Denver’s program: https://www.denvergov.org/Government/Departments/Economic-Development-Opportunity/Do-Business-With-Denver
- The Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade also maintains a directory: https://oedit.colorado.gov/minority-owned-businesses
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. “Chapter 8. Noncompetitive Proposals.” 2007. https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/74608C08PIHH.PDF
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. “Procurement Handbook for Public Housing Agencies.” 2007. https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/DOC_10725.PDF
- For more information, see Colorado’s Construction Lien Law: https://constructionliens.uslegal.com/state-laws/colorado-construction-lien-law
Phase VI: Stewardship
- ECP Participatory Design Toolkit
- Design Matters Toolkit
- Tools for design charettes: http://enterprisecommunity.org/solutions-and-innovation/green-communities/tools-and-services/charrette-toolkit
- Homeownership guide provides some examples of cultural features that can be incorporated into homeownership development
- Information on how tribal leaders can support development: https://nativehomeownership.enterprisecommunity.org/how-tribal-leaders-can-support-homeownership
- HUD Codetalk: https://www.hud.gov/codetalk